tech

Apple news

iPhone 4 en Panamá! p.32 | por StartingLine en Tecnologia & Internet | 344 mensajes

Notapor gpc » 10 10UTC Ene 2007, 4:21 pm

* Cost: The price point hurts! It's $499 for for 4G and $599 for 8G. So as not to be stupid about it, that's $500 and $600 for a phone. And apparently, that's with a 2 year carrier agreement! The Tyler household isn't going to be springing for one of these any time soon at that price. Will businesses? Quite possibly, because as extensible phones go, that's not a huge price. Also, we should keep in mind the application of Moore's Law. The iPhone costs a bundle now. In a year, it won't. The price will go down through technology improvements, economies of scale, so forth and et cetera.

And, let's all remember that when the RAZR came out, it was well over $300. I just got mine for $30 with a 2-year contract right before Christmas. As they say at Wal*Mart, "Watch out for falling prices." Also note, that this is a high-end phone plus the best music player on the planet. A 4G iPod Nano costs $200 already. Another $300 for an extensible phone suddenly might not seem too outrageous, especially if you already carry too many gadgets. I still want one.

* Cingular: There's no cell phone plan information yet from Cingular. Cingular trumpets the fact that it doesn't drop calls... but everyone I seem to hear from hates them (I have T-Mobile, so no personal experience here). Plus, add the fact that Cingular bought AT&T Wireless because AT&T had such awful customer service that business was crappy. When Cingular actually did well, AT&T bought Cingular back. Brings up the question, "Is AT&T going to suck less as a cellular carrier the second time around?" Remains to be seen. All in all, the fact that the iPhone is not carrier independent is making lots of people unhappy (including me).

* No 3G: This is a hardware issue, so for first-generation adopters it may be a biggie. Business users or tech enthusiasts with a thirst for the latest and greatest are going to care, big time. A case can be made that the price point of the iPhone puts it solidly in the business and enthusiast market. On the other hand, those of us, like me who are woefully behind the technology curve when it comes to cell phones, are not going to care much. Presently, Cingular doesn't even support 3G in all its markets (and in those, coverage isn't extensive), so it's hardly worth paying for the circuitry when it can't be used. In a year, the iPhone may indeed support 3G.

* No WiFi sync to iTunes: it strikes me that this is a software-only "problem." At present, no iPod syncs over WiFi (no iPod has WiFi). Once the software supports it (and there's no reason I can see that it can't) it'll happen.

* No over-the-air downloads from iTunes store: This is a direct result of slow data speeds. See 3G above.

* No removable memory: I saw this in a blog somewhere... can I laugh hysterically now? I mean, when I went to put a ringtone on my RAZR (God, I hate that phone), I couldn't copy a whole MP3 onto it (and you should have seen the uncommunicative error it threw). There wasn't enough memory for a 3MB file. Are 4 gigs somehow not enough that we need an extra 1GB removable memory? Color me as not getting this complaint at all.

* Battery life issues: Here's a potential problem. You get 5 hours of talk or video and 16 hours of audio (no mention of how much standby time you get). If you're surfing and watching and listening when you're not talking, this could be a potentially huge issue, especially since you can't just keep an extra charged battery and swap them out.

* No MS Exchange or Office support: This is a potential biggie to business users. Consumers aren't going to give a flying fart. But since the iPhone is extensible and runs actual Mac OS X, there is simply no reason that Exchange support can't be added. There is no reason that it can't support Office documents. None. Big deal at first? Maybe. Big deal forever? Doubt it.

* Not extensible by third parties: This is probably the biggest long-range caveat. If Apple locks down the iPhone permanently to all third-party developers, it's going to weaken the platform in the long run. Third party developers are the lifeblood of almost any platform. For business reasons, they can do things that a large company like Apple cannot do. However, it will be interesting to see if Apple uses the certification of third party products as a revenue stream (something like SalesForce's App Exchange). I strongly suspect that somehow, somewhen, third party apps will make it to the iPhone, especially if companies like EA Games, which is pushing hard into iPod games market starts leaning on Apple for a portal into the iPhone.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/1/10/6559
gpc
PC LOAD LETTER

Mi ID en PSN gpc_chiyo
Mi ID en XBOX Live! gpc corp

Notapor gpc » 16 16UTC Ene 2007, 2:25 pm

Apple Sues Over iPhone Smartphone Skins
from Slashdot by Zonk
ghostcorps writes "Australian Newspaper 'The Age' reports that developers of iPhone skins (skins for smartphones that resemble the iPhone) have been legally attacked by Apple. Beyond that, bloggers who have reported on the skins have been threatened with legal action as well. From the article: 'Ironically, Apple's attempts to have the files removed from the web have only given the skins greater publicity, and they have already begun spreading to other websites. The issue marks a distinct change in tone for many bloggers and journalists, who just last week praised Apple for its 'revolutionary' and 'game-changing' phone despite being unable to conduct a proper hands-on test of the product.'"

LOL vale vergkshdshd
gpc
PC LOAD LETTER

Mi ID en PSN gpc_chiyo

Notapor ec » 16 16UTC Ene 2007, 5:25 pm

en que quedo la vaina con los que tenian los derechos de 'iphone'?
ec
MOMOSHIRO

Mi ID en PSN ecwpa

Notapor gpc » 17 17UTC Ene 2007, 5:47 am

bueno, aparentemente segun los analistas, Cisco perdió el derecho al nombre del Iphone debido a que se auto pwneó.

Breve historia: Cisco compra una compañia llamada Infogear en el 2000: Infogear registra el nombre I Phone en 1993 y luego iPhone en 1996.

Por leyes gringas, una compañia que registra un nombre, DEBE usarlo en un lapso de tiempo en un producto, servicio o lo que sea. Cisco estuvo al borde de fallar dicha estipulación en la ultima ocasión... tanto asi que agarró un modelo random de telefono (de esos que son VoIP) y le puso un sticker disq "IPhone" xD.

Al parecer ya era muy tarde y Cisco está en un limbo donde ya no puede reclamar por el nombre, ya que en la descripción de dicho modelo de telefono, habla del IPhone como un término genérico, lo que refuerza aun el hecho de que no sjdshdj sobre el nombre IPhone.

Por otro lado, se dice que Apple tiene un front company que ha estado intentando registrar el nombre (el front es Ocean Telecom Services LLC) utilizando tecnicas raras que desconosco (el wiki habla de que se utilizó un recurso llamado "Priority Right", donde registras el nombre una fecha y aduces que tienes derecho a ella desde hace 6 meses atras... o una vaina asi, de veras no la entiendo). Apple ha intentado lo mismo en Australia por lo que se dice que dicha compañia es un front para poder evitar litigación directa con Cisco.

Se habla que Cisco quería acceso total a ITunes a cambio de compartir el trademark del IPhone... desconosco el alcance de dicho acceso porque si Apple se negó, me imagino que Cisco queria disq hacer un frontend propio del ITunes o gestionar algo de la tienda... no se.

Yo creo que hay dos posibilidades: Apple logra los derechos al nombre IPhone o cambia el nombre a Apple Phone (recuerdo que en el Keynote, Steve Jobs dijo "a esto le llamamos IPhone", o sea que oficialmente no tiene nombre final xD... ademas tomando en cuenta el cambio de nombre del iTV, que resultó ser el codename de (manzanita) TV xDD).
gpc
PC LOAD LETTER

Mi ID en PSN gpc_chiyo

Notapor ec » 17 17UTC Ene 2007, 11:26 am

los manes disque habian llegado a un acuerdo un par de horas antes del keynote ese y ahora disq on

raro, igual era dificil que apple soltara lo que pidieran porque no iban a pedir ninguna pendejadita

apple phone no suena mal al fin...
ec
MOMOSHIRO

Mi ID en PSN ecwpa

Notapor StartingLine » 17 17UTC Ene 2007, 12:25 pm

junio es la fecha retail dicen..
a ver a cuanto van a tar esos puppys
Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
StartingLine
Buaahahahahahaha!?

Mi ID en PSN StartingLine25
Mi ID en XBOX Live! StartingLine25

Notapor gpc » 17 17UTC Ene 2007, 12:40 pm

chekeen las fotitos del OpenMoko Smartphone (vaya nombre :S xDD), basado en Linux:

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

Apple pudo haber yompiao algunas ideas? xDD

Gizmodo
gpc
PC LOAD LETTER

Mi ID en PSN gpc_chiyo

Notapor ec » 17 17UTC Ene 2007, 1:49 pm

se ve sexy

por ahi lei que le hicieron un resize a la pantalla de el iphone, ahora es mas chiquita :(

puros engaños
ec
MOMOSHIRO

Mi ID en PSN ecwpa

Notapor gpc » 18 18UTC Ene 2007, 1:53 pm

iPhone Only Costs $250 to Make; Rest of Price is Fanboy Tax
from Gizmodo

So you thought the iPhone's insanely high price tag is due to all the fancy technology inside? Not so, my friend. That touchscreen that everyone is popping tents over only costs $33.50, with the touchscreen controller adding a mere $1.15 to the price. In fact, Apple stands to make a healthy 50% profit on both versions of the iPhone sold, with the costs of the 4- and 8-gig models only running $245.83 and $280.83, respectively.

All that profit and we're still forced to sign our lives away to Cingular AT&T for 2 years for the privilege of buying this phone. If it's not being subsidized, why the hell are we still forced to sign a contract? Weak, very weak.

Imagen

Gizmodo

Han visto como poco a poco se ha ido desapareciendo la cortina de humo? ahora el iphone no es la gran vaina xD Por ahi sale el PRADA (que cuesta como 800$) y el Google Cellphone (!!!)... lo bueno de la "competencia" weee
gpc
PC LOAD LETTER

Mi ID en PSN gpc_chiyo

Notapor eilegz » 19 19UTC Ene 2007, 5:59 pm

apple siempre sera asi... y la gente lo comprara

deberiamos buskar una lista de apple facts
Imagen
Imagen
eilegz

Mi ID en PSN eilegz
Mi ID en XBOX Live! eilegz
Mi Wii Friend Code eilegz
El internet necesita tu opinion en este tema en especifico, srsly. Inicia sesion o registrate participar, es gratis!

Volver a Tecnologia & Internet